Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:18:46PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:16:56AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > http://www.debian.org/vote/2000/vote_0008
>
> I do have some questions, which I've not been able to answer
> for myself after poking around a bit:
>
> What is the rationale for this proposal?

Before answering, I should say that the below remarks are for myself
only.  There are others that support non-free removal for different
reasons (or perhaps place greatest emphasis different places.)

Here are some links that may be useful:

First draft of resolution (rationale statement follows):
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200006/msg00215.html

  (Wow, looks like I could have won the woody release date guessing
  contest <g>)

Amplifications:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200006/msg00506.html

The discussion seems to have occured variously on -vote, -project, and
-devel in June 2000.  Perhaps some threads were crossposted; I'm
uncertain.

> I've read what you had to say in the year 2000, which I'd summarize as "To
> preserve purity of essence" [and maybe "To achieve peace on earth."], but
> I imagine you might be able to come up with a better summarization than I.

If I were to say it in three words, I'd say: Because it's right.

-- John