Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:44:19AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > As time passes, it appears to me more and more that the continued
> > presence of non-free is incompatible with the long-term interests of
> > our stated goals, users and free software.
>
> 	I beg to differ. Indeed, the very reason for having non-free
>  is because the software performs a function that is useful to users,
>  despite no meeting our guidelines.

Ah, but that is a short-term interest.  I specifically singled out
long-term interests in my statement.

> 	And it helps free software two fold: it a helps in
>  transitioning packages to free-er licenses (ncftp, qt, etc), and it
>  gets us a wider audience (people who would have not chosen Debian
>  without the support for the non-free stuff). Once in the fold, they
>  are exposed to the ideas of free software, they espouse, and
>  proselytize, Debian.

I still have yet to see anyone demonstrate that this is all impossible,
or even significantly more difficult, by putting on-free on a different
FTP server.

> 	Everyone knows that Debian can't package all software there is
>  out there, so absence of the software reflects on the incompleteness
>  of Debian to the casual end user; having the software labelled as
>  non-free reflects on the software package.

This, of course, assumes that the casual end user has non-free in
sources.list; regularly checks what section of the archive things come
from on install time; and knows what non-free means.  I think these are
all shaky assumptions to make about the casual end-user, especially
since apt-get does not say what section a package is in.

> > We are now long past the era where technical hurdles prevented
> > spinning non-free off of Debian.  We have a set of people that are
> > capable of maintaining it by itself.  We also have a situation where
>
> 	Got anything to back this up? Who are these people? Do they
>  have the resources you say they are capable of marshalling?

Of the people arguing against removing non-free, I know that many of
them are skilled enough to maintain a Debian archive.  While I don't
know of specific hosting arrangements, I also know that many less
knowledgable people than they are able to find ample hosting, and I
suspect that this would not be a big difficulty given the level of
support they suggest non-free enjoys.

-- John