Re: Questions for all candidates

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:39:56PM -0600, Graham Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:56:19AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > If my reply to Steve Langasek was insufficient to answer your questions,
> > please let me know.
>
> im assuming the one in <20030226055427.GF32656@deadbeast.net>? if yes,
> then it wasnt exactly what i was wondering about.

Yes, that's the one I meant.

> mostly i was wondering if you were elected, if the release process would
> be an area of focus for you.

It will be important, but not priority one.  The release process is
primarily the responsibility of the Release Manager, who is a delegate
of the DPL.  I have no intention of usurping the authority of the
Release Manager until and unless I can determine that there is a serious
problem with the current delegate.  That's not presently the case.

It's important to remember the meaning of delegation -- a task isn't
being delegated if it's being micromanaged.

> that does not necessarily mean forcing any particular release
> schedule, but rather, if you would survey the developers and users[1]
> and try to get a process going that might improve the release process
> somehow.[2]

Yes, I'd like to work with Anthony Towns, Joey Schulze, and perhaps some
other people to come up with a formal survey that would help us learn a
little more about where the Project wants to go.

> i wonder because i didnt see anything in your platform about the release
> process.

That's mainly because I'm not running for Release Manager.

> [1] i think you and martin already said you planned on doing this.
> [2] the release process is not necessarily broken, but could use some
>     improvements, especially for workstation users, who like to have
>     more recent software.

I agree that a lot of people have concerns about the release process; I
also think that some of the goals people have are in conflict with each
other.  I think John Goerzen said:

  Pick two:
   * Latest software
   * Broad selection of software
   * Rock-solid stability

  I advance that you cannot choose three simultaneously from that list.
  Debian chooses the last two.  OpenBSD chooses the first and last.  Mandrake
  chooses the first two.
[1]

I think John may be right about this, in which case actually coming up
with a list of Debian release "traits", asking people to rank them, and
then processing the results with the Condorcet method might be an
educational experience.  Still, I envision that this would be a survey
only, not marching orders for the Release Manager.

[1] Message-ID: <20030225214304.GA6036@wile.excelhustler.com>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Don't use nuclear weapons to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     troubleshoot faults.