Re: our users as one of our priorities

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:48:37PM +0900, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> [see the "Future of Debian uncertain?" thread on -devel for background]
>
> Hello DPL candidates,
>
> can you tell me what "Our Users" in #4 of the social contract means?
> Since Debian is not a market-share-seeking organization, we don't care
> about people who don't use Debian, so it seems a tautology.

I think it means that we need to listen to and be accountable to our
users.  This means helping our users to get the most of our system,
following up on bug reports, and improving the system to benefit them.

Free Software is also a priority, so we should also ensure that we do
not serve the needs of our users at the *expense* of Free Software, say,
by authoring and shipping proprietary extensions to Free packages.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     engineering.  "Supernatural" is a