Re: Proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:09:41 -0600, Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:42:31AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:54:38 -0600, Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>
>> said:
>>
>> > The best answer, thus, is probably to remove the entire
>> > construct, since it is easily confusing and prone to argument,
>> > and replace it with a simpler and more easily construed one, such
>> > as "The voting mechanism cannot currently handle encrypted
>> > ballots; if you encrypt your ballot, it will be rejected."
>>
>> The replacement text you propose does not convey the same meaning
>> as the original did; and trying to convey the nuances in less
>> precise speech would make the construct cumbersome. ("shall not" is
>> a more emphatic term, and the "cannot currently handle" implies
>> intent that is not correct).

> Then I submit that your meaning is not, in fact, clear to a
> significant portion of the only audience that makes sense for this
> to be addressed to (that being 'Debian Developers', those who can
> cast votes).

	If people cannot understand:

     "Do _NOT_ encrypt your ballot; the voting mechanism shall not be
      able to decrypt your message."

 they should not be getting a say in amending our constitution.

	manoj
--
Maj. Bloodnok: Seagoon, you're a coward! Seagoon: Only in the holiday
season. Maj. Bloodnok: Ah, another Noel Coward!