Re: Practical question [Re: Updated proposed ballot...]

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:37:12AM -0400, David Coe wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
> Because A, B, and C all make the same change to the first sentence of
> paragraph 5:
>
> > -    5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.
> > +    5. Issue, supersede and withdraw nontechnical policy documents and
> > +       statements.
>
> what will happen if none of them receives a 3:1 majority, but the sum
> of the three does?  I expect our *intent* would be to act on Proposal
> B, since its change is included entirely in A and C -- is that what
> would happen, or do wee need to disambiguate the disambiguation vote?

No, the proposals are considered "atomic", and each must succeed or
fail on its own merits.

Historically, I proposed something similar to proposal B first, back in
2000, and it was Manoj's objection to that which prompted him to draft a
prototype of proposal A.  It is therefore not reasonable to assume that
those who like proposals A or C would be comfortable with proposal B
passing.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The power of accurate observation
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     is frequently called cynicism by