Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD votetallying

On Wed, 28 May 2003 03:59:32 +0200, Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> said:

> Hi,
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Ah, so now it is a matter of determining intent. So, short of
>> providing code for telepathically determining the voters intent,
>> how can one cater to people who really find A unacceptable, and are
>> voting honestly, from people who would consider A acceptable, but
>> are lying to give B an edge?

> By providing them with a voting system which allows them to express
> their preferences adequately so that they don't _have_ to lie, if
> they want their true preferences to be considered fairly. Most other
> voting systems simply can't do that.

	If someone can come with one, great. However, not allowing me
 to express "I truly do not care if C passes or no" (ranking C == rank
 of default option), or not allowing me to express the fact that I
 truly find B unacceptable are clearly not solutions; and those are
 the initiatives I was protesting against.

> This whole discussion tells me that the original proposal (with
> Manoj's s/quorum/.../ change, for consistency) should be up to that
> task.

	Cool. All we need is the other sponsors to agree (though I
 agree with the rationale behind the change, I do not feel strongly
 enough to have to go through and campaign for a new set of sponsors;
 if 5 of the original sponsors agree to the changes, I'll put them
 in).

> Why, is that a trick question?  ;-)

	Heh. We have been around the block so many times now my head
 is spinning.

	manoj
--
"We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just can't agree on
when it's necessary to compromise." --Larry Wall in