Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:25:35PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:45:31PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > I _think_ the same basic strategy applies:  Rank the non-default
> > options sincerely, then insert the default option after your "lesser
> > of evils" option.
>
> That doesn't work. Suppose there are three options, and everyone does this.
> People vote:
>
> 	20 ADBC
> 	20 BDAC
> 	20 CDAB
>
> A beats B 40:20
> B beats C 40:20
> A beats C 40:20
> D beats A, B and C 40:20
>
> Which makes D win, rather than A, B or C.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean this is not the best strategy.  It
could be that the best strategy, applied by everyone, tends to
produce stalemate.  :-/

However, throw in one more ADBC vote, and Concorcet+SSD will declare
A the winner, whereas the proposed method will be stuck on D.  That
suggests that Concorcet+SSD is more resistant to this strategy.
(That said, this strategy does appear to be effective against
Concorcet+SSD in many cases.)

Andrew