Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:20:33AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> With Approval, there's no difference between strategic voting and expressing
> your preference.

I don't know what you mean.  The basic strategy for approval voting
(as on electionmethods.org) is to vote for the "lesser of evils"
candidate you would vote for in a conventional election, and anyone
you rank higher.  You don't vote for candidates you actually approve
of, but rank lower--ie, you don't express your true preferences.

> Our method doesn't have that problem.

I _think_ the same basic strategy applies:  Rank the non-default
options sincerely, then insert the default option after your "lesser
of evils" option.

Andrew