Re: April 17th Draft of the Voting GR

>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:44:56 +1000,
>> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

 > On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:29:57PM -0400, moth@magenta.com wrote:
 >> > >
 >> > It doesn't. Once defeats are dropped, they are *entirely*
 >> > irrelevant to the vote, and it's utterly useless to have terms
 >> > that refer to them.

	I was not aware I was doing so. My sense is that defeats, and
 transitive defeats, are concepts that exist outside of the mechanism
 for determining a winner.

 >> However, it may be that Manoj is concerned that once the
 >> transitive defeat is gone the reason for dropping the defeat is
 >> gone.

	I had actually not thought of that; I am not sure I even
 follow the logic.

 > No, I think you'll find Manoj is saying that "transitive defeat"
 > doesn't include the word "undropped" so should just refer to the
 > obvious and logical thing, applying any defeat that exists,
 > transitively. Just as a a cleanliness of terminology thing.

	Yes,
 >> Refering to the message with id
 >> <[🔎] 87smsf3ewg.fsf@glaurung.green-gryphon.com>, you still have the
 >> potential ambiguity that "transitive defeat" is defined in terms
 >> of "defeats" not in terms of "the list of undropped defeats".

	How does the version in the message with Message-ID:
 <[🔎] 87fzof1m69.fsf@glaurung.green-gryphon.com> look?

	manoj
--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. Benjamin Franklin