Re: April 17th Draft of the Voting GR

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 10:57, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>     3. Votes are taken by the Project Secretary. Votes, tallies, and
>        results are not revealed during the voting period; after the
>        vote the Project Secretary lists all the votes cast.

"Votes, tallies, and results are not revealed until the voting period is
over."

"Votes, tallies, and results are revealed only when the voting period is
over."

> The voting
>        period is 2 weeks, but may be varied by up to 1 week by the
>        Project Leader, and may be ended by the Project Secretary when
>        the outcome is no longer in doubt.

"when the outcome" -> "if the outcome". According m-w.com, "if" is more
used for "in the event that" than when.

"The voting period lasts one to three weeks as decided by the Project
Leader. The Project Secretary may end it if the outcome is no longer in
doubt."

>  In this context, we ignore
>        the possibility that people might want to change their vote.

> Under 6.1 Powers [of the technical committee], change item 7 to read:
>
>     7. Appoint the Chairman of the Technical Committee.  The Chairman
>        is elected by the Committee from its members. All members of
>        the committee are automatically nominated; the committee vote

"the commitee votes" --- otherwise, this sentence has no predicate.

Considering the "vote ... for any fellow committee member" below, I
think the "All members ... nominated" above should just be struck.

>        starting one week before the post will become vacant (or
>        immediately, if it is already too late). The members may vote
>        by public acclamation for any fellow committee member,
>        including themselves;

/me curses at lack of proper gender-neutral pronouns, notes that should
be "including himself". Or "oneself" if its a particularly British day.

Also, I suggest striking fellow --- it conflicts with "including (insert
pronoun[s] here)."

> there is no default option. The vote
>        finishes when all the members have voted or when the outcome is
>        no longer in doubt. The result is determined using the method
>        specified in section A.6 of the Standard Resolution Procedure.
>

> Replace A.3 with:
>
>   A.3. Voting procedure
>
>     1. Each resolution and its related amendments is voted on in a

s/is voted/are voted/

>        single ballot, that includes an option for the original

Strike the comma.

>        resolution, each amendment, and the default option (where
>        applicable)..

Typo: Two periods at end of sentence.

>     2. The default option must not have any supermajority requirements.
>        Options which do not have an explicit supermajority requirement
>        have a 1:1 majority requirement.
>     3. The votes are counted according to the the rules in A.6.
>        Unless otherwise specified, the default option is "Further
>        Discussion".

Move "unless otherwise specified" to the end of the sentence; is is
confusing right now. It appears to refer to the previous sentence, but
actually doesn't.

>     4. In cases of doubt the Project Secretary shall decide on matters
>        of procedure.

> Replace A.6 with:
>
>    A.6 Vote Counting
>
>      1. Each voter's ballot ranks the options being voted on.  Not all
>         options need be ranked.  Ranked options are considered
>         preferred to all unranked options.  Voters may rank options
>         equally.  Unranked options are considered to be ranked equally
>         with one another.  Details of how ballots may be filled out

s/may be/are/

>         will be included in the Call For Votes.
>      2. If the ballot has a quorum requirement R any options other

quorum requirement, R, ...

>         than the default option which do not receive at least R votes
>         ranking that option above the default option are dropped from
>         consideration.
>      3. Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default option
>         by its required majority ratio is dropped from consideration.
>         a. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of voters
>            who prefer option A over option B.
>         b. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority

maybe: option, A, ...
default option, D, ...

>            ratio N, if V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).

ratio, N, ...

>         c. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority ratio
>            is S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.

Please switch (b) and (c). (c) defines majority ratio, which is used in
(b). Having it first is, I think, helpful.

>      4. We construct the Schwartz set based on undropped options and
>         defeats:
>            a. An option A defeats an option B, if V(A,B) is strictly
>               greater than V(B,A).

maybe: option, A, ...; option, B, ...

>            b. An option A transitively defeats an option C if A
>               defeats C or if there is some other option B where A
>               defeats B AND B transitively defeats C.

maybe: option, A, ...; option, C, ...; option, B, ...

s/some other/an/

>            c. An option A is in the Schwartz set if for all options B,

maybe: option, A, ...; options, B, ...

>               either A transitively defeats B, or B does not transitively
>               defeat A.
>      5. If there are defeats between options in the Schwartz set, we
>         drop the weakest such defeats, and return to step 4.
>            a. A defeat (A,X) is weaker than a defeat (B,Y) if V(A,X)

The normal comma things. Also, what are A, X, B, and Y? Just arbitrary
options? And is a defeat just an arbitrary pairing of two options (I
don't think so, but it's not clear. Can we define a defeat somewhere?)

>               is less than V(B,Y).  Also, (A,X) is weaker than (B,Y)
>               if V(A,X) is equal to V(B,Y) and V(X,A) is greater than
>               V(Y,B).
>            b. A weakest defeat is a defeat that has no other defeat
>               weaker than it.  There may be more than one such defeat.
>      6. If there are no defeats within the Schwartz set, then the winner
>         is chosen from the options in the Schwartz set.  If there is
>         only one such option, it is the winner. If there are multiple
>         options, the elector with a casting vote chooses which of those

s/with a/with the/

>         options wins.
>
>      RATIONALE: Options which the voters rank above the default option
>      are options they find acceptable.  Options ranked below the default
>      options are options they find unacceptable.

Ah, that's SO nice to read after the dense math above.

> --
> "Elvis is my copilot." Cal Keegan

That sounds like a bad plan.