Re: current A.6 draft

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:30:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 06:32:26PM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > I see.  However, this system (like aj's) still rewards the strategy
> > of ranking the default option second, [...]
>
> Yes, it does, and this is entirely deliberate. It's what "supermajority"
> is about: allowing minorities to block proposals that the majority
> likes. If you don't like the idea of supermajority requirements, that's
> fair enough, but unless you have something _new_ to say, or an alternative
> that's equally effective at allowing minorities to block proposals and
> is somehow "fairer", what you have to say isn't very interesting.

First, this was a new proposal, so I wanted to make sure its
consequenses were clear (they weren't to me, at first).

Second, I don't think that the disadvantages of this approach have
been adequately addressed.  You have focused almost entirely on one
aspect ("what supermajority is about") as if it were the only one to
consider.  Given the subtelties of voting, this seems like a rather
extreme position.

> I also note you don't seem to be a developer or in the n-m queue.

Nonetheless, I have been in the Debian community for over four
years, and am participating with the interests of Debian in mind.

Andrew