Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

>>"Joseph" == Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

 Joseph> That's debatable..  More and more a lot of people who
 Joseph> actually care about free software are feeling that Debian has
 Joseph> become apathetic toward it and are trying to push the other

	...who really care about free software. You begin to lose
 credibility when you attach such generic (and unsubstantiated) labels
 to proponents of either side of this argument.

	To continue in the same, jejune fashion, a number of people
 who really, really care about the noble ideas of freedom of software
 actually applaud Debian's brand of pragmatic advocacy, where people
 are shown the pedigree of the software they use, and yet, (horrors!)
 actually allowed to make their own minds and choose software.

	I personally fail to percieve the apathy that apparently ails us.

 Joseph> direction as hard as possible.  I'm not interested in that
 Joseph> and I already feel that now is not the time for John's
 Joseph> proposal to pass.

	Egad! I may even agree with you.

 Joseph> I think I would be disappointed if the vote was
 Joseph> overwhelmingly against as the (seemingly largely uninformed)

	Ah yes, the public disagrees with me, so it must be the
 uninformed, unwashed masses who don't know what's good for them. Can
 you feel the cedibility dropping?

 Joseph> public opinion has been.  I _AM_ disappointed that our
 Joseph> secretary has decided how this vote will be handled by fiat
 Joseph> in a way that can best be described as ballot stacking in
 Joseph> favor of his personal preferences and setting a dangerous

	Oh yes, and us vote casting, umm, _persons_, are feeble minded
 idiots who can't logically cut through demagogic hype and make our
 own minds on the merits of the issue. Please refrain for speaking for
 the rest of us in the future.

 Joseph> precedent in which the secretary is essentially bound by no
 Joseph> rules and has more authority over the project than its leader
 Joseph> does.

	I see it as a secretary applying a modicum of common sense,
 but I don't really want to belabour this point. Others have already
 stated most of what I was going to.

 Joseph> This ain't good.  Far be it from me to advocate more red
 Joseph> tape, but here's an example of where Debian's bureaucratic
 Joseph> system designed to ensure that nobody is in complete control
 Joseph> of the project without review is failing.  The secretary can
 Joseph> arbitrarily change the rules for a GR vote and the only way
 Joseph> to appeal a decision made by the secretary is to have a GR
 Joseph> vote ...

	So please suggest more red tape in the properly formulated
 fashion, with a constitutional amendment that rectifies our brand of
 red tape.

 Joseph> Unfortunately, I think this also brings to light what is IMO
 Joseph> a shortcoming of Wichert's leadership of the project.  He

	IMHO he gets brownie points for staying out of this mess.

	I wish I had the will power to have done the same.

	manoj

--
 "Turn on, tune up, rock out." Billy Gibbons