Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:

> Thus would enable RMS to point to debian.gnu.org (or free.debian.org
> or whatever).  It would still mean that either he has to rebuild apt
> to user debian.gnu.org as default host instead of ftp.debian.org or
> we need to change something.  Not sure how to get around this.

How about not splitting the hosts at all.  With the changes to apt you
suggest it does not really make a difference what hosts free and
non-free are on.  As RMS stated recently, it's apt that presents the
important interface.  This way the FSF-ready distribution also takes
advantage of our mirror and load balancing system.

It would seem that after making those changes to apt, all the FSF
would need is the website with no non-free advertisements (there are
few if any on the web pages presently, so this is a small amount of
work).  I'm not sure exacly what Richard's desires are as far as what
is and is not consider a unnacpetable reference to non-free software
on the web page.  If there are only a few places on the site that
presently make such references, then we could possibly just modify
those where they stand now, and the FSF could just refer to
www.debian.org.  That is of course if the changes are not too
drastic.

This assumes that the FSF would no mine the way the package database
and BTS also track information on non-free software.  If that is not
the case, than the FSF will have to have a seperate site with modified
forms for those funtions so they do not present non-free software.

I think this combo could make the FSF happy and give thema
distribution they can refer to without feelinn like they are
compromising their position, and it requires the smallest amount of
changes to the current system.  It's something that we could even put
in place easily before potato is released.

Is there anything I am missing, either in terms of satisfying the
needs of the FSF, or maintaining Debian's integrity ith regards to the
Social Contract, or even Debian's archive/website administration?

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig