Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:34:13PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Wichert's proposal would focus more emphasis to this distinction, by
> > according it more importance.  It will show the users that Debian
> > means business about the distinction.
>
> If I cannot find it when I look specifically for it, it's not there.

That is absolutely absurd.  Just because RMS doesn't inform you of
something's existance doesn't mean it's not there.  I never told you
about the grocery store near my apartment, and you never knew of it.
Nonetheless, the store is there, even if you may have missed it when
specifically looking for it.

Furthermore, if one is specifically looking for non-free software, how
could one miss it?

> > true that users who get Debian via the GNU Project's references to
> > Debian would not find out about the non-free packages *through us*.
>
> Wichert's proposal doesn't say that.  It just says we'll move the files
> to a different site.  It totally neglects mention of the web pages, apt's
> configuration files and the comments contained within them, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm against the move as well, but you miss the
mark.  The point is that our files are already quite separated; we do
not consider non-free or contrib as part of Debian; and they are in
separate areas of the FTP archive.  They are not distributed on CD.
Clearly the separation exists, and is used.