Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 07:03:43PM +0200, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:
[..]
> Apt:
>
> The apt package is delivered with a sources.list containing
>
>   deb http://debian.org/debian stable main
>
> A different package "apt-non-free" is put in the non-free archive with the
> sources.list
>
>   deb http://debian.org/debian stable non-free
>   deb http://non-official.debian.org/debian stable non-free
>
> (or whatever, depending on the destiny of contrib and non-us).  It should,
> of course, conflict with and provide apt.

You made sense till you got to this part...

# Main archive
#
#  This is all the official Debian software and it's all free
#
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

# Security updates
#
#  You need this, trust me..
#
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates

# Local mirror
#
#  If you have a local mirror, here's how you might set it up.
#
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free

# Non-free packages
#
#  This stuff fails the Debian Free Software Guidelines and is not part
#  of the official distribution.  URI's are provided here as a service
#  and you can uncomment them if you need to for some reason.
#
# deb http://<non-free server>/debian stable contrib non-free
# deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US contrib non-free
# deb-src http://<non-free server>/debian stable contrib non-free
# deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US contrib non-free

Wichert still hasn't said what he wants to do with non-free+non-us and
since non-free is likely to be hosted in the US whatever happens the
non-us software will probably stay on pandora.  Possibly a different
directory and possibly a different host pointer, but

> RATIONALE.
>
> The main issue in the discussion is that RMS and the FSF wants to be able
> to show-case Official Debian as a 100% free OS as the Social Contract's
> item 1 promises.  This seems to conflict with item 5 in the Social Contract
> that obliges us to support non-free software "configured for Debian".
>
> The above compromise for an "Official Debian" home page mentions non-free
> software in the last paragraph but explicitly does *not* recommend its use
> (if this is not sufficiently clear from the formulation I will be happy to
> hear even more discrete ones :).
>
> I do feel that not mentioning non-free software at all would make the
> Official Debian home page violate our social contract.
>
> What do you think?

I think that since Wichert has reassured me that we would not go out of
our way to make the non-free packages difficult for our users to access,
my concerns have been addressed and I no longer object to the split
provided mirroring issues will be addressed.  I'm confident they will be.

<stu> you should be afraid to use KDE because RMS might come to your
      house and cleave your monitor with an axe or something :)