OT: Mozilla development (was: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 10:46:21PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> One could argue that cumulative effect of all of us continuing to use
> Netscape *is*, in fact, harming the development of Mozilla. Presumably
> some of the users would be both sufficiently inconvenienced and
> sufficiently capable to commit a week of evenings to writing/fixing
> something, and a killer version of Mozilla would have been released 3
> months ago.

I think another fact is the NPL/MPL arrangement, in which Netscape gets to
eat their cake and have it too.  You submit your patches to them, and they
get to turn around, modify them, close the source, and sell them with no
compensation to you.

For people used to working under the GPL, this is not a heartening state of
affairs.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   I just wanted to see what it looked like
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   in a spotlight.