Re: Adding 'gwhois' to volatile

* Michael Holzt (kju@fqdn.org) [051014 01:53]:
> Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > + you change the package from a native package to a non-native package
> > [1].
> > [1] the package should be non-native anyway, so i don't mind if that
> > changes.
>
> Would you please explain why you believe the package should be
> non-native? I do not agree.

Because it makes it easier to upload a small patch. But well, that's
packaging style, i.e. nothing we activly enforce.

> > + your DH_COMPAT level is 1 !!!!!!
> > + if changing the DH_COMPAT to 4 the package doesn't build any more.
>
> Yes. In the latest unstable version the build scripts were replaced with
> new versions. However as it is stated that the changes for a volatile
> package should be as minimal as possible, i left the build scripts for
> the volatile package as they are in the latest stable version. If you
> say it is ok to update the build scripts, i can do this.

Yeah, that's ok.

> > + you have all whois information in /etc and marked as conf-file. With
> >   any update of the package the enduser will be asked about changing
> >   the conf-file.
>
> Untrue. If the user did not made any changes to the file (which would be
> true for the vast majority of users), no questions will be asked, but
> the file will be silently upgraded. But after all it _is_ a configfile
> and the correct place for it is in /etc.
>
> gwhois is now nearly seven years old, and i know that some users depend
> on the configfile to be at that location. As i don't see any advantage
> of moving the file away from /etc, i hesitate to change this. A user can
> already make modification outside of this file by creating a file
> /etc/gwhois/pattern.xyz (xyz can be chosen freely) which takes
> precedence over /etc/gwhois/pattern, but some user depend on changing
> the main pattern file. It is a configfile and removing it from /etc
> would be against standards in my opinion.

Well, basically, it would be great to have some defaults at another
place, and just have an override config file or so. But well, it might
equally well be too late to really fix this (and, BTW, nothing that can
be changed for sarge anymore, but only for etch).

Also, one other minor nitpick:
-Description-nl: Zal oude ERX-configuratie verwijderen
+Description-nl.UTF-8: Zal oude ERX-configuratie verwijderen
(same with ja): hm, doesn't look too good frankly speaking :)

Otherwise, seems acceptable (for the dh_level - well, that's already
fixed in sid, and the config file - might be difficult to make it better
in a non-breaking way, but improving that would really be appreciated,
though that also needs to happen via sid for etch), so please fix these
minor details, and upload the rest (built in sarge).

Cheers,
Andi