Re: Adding 'gwhois' to volatile

Hi Michael,

On Tuesday, 11 Oct 2005, you wrote:
> Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> >In general i have no problem with newer whois clients in volatile. Could
> >you please link the patch you would apply to the verion in sarge.
>
> See http://gwhois.de/volatile/

i did a review of your version for volatile and i found the following
things which IMHO should be fixed for a version in volatile:

 + you change the package from a native package to a non-native package [1].
 + your DH_COMPAT level is 1 !!!!!!
 + if changing the DH_COMPAT to 4 the package doesn't build any more.
 + the debian-rules file still contains the dh_make stanzas.
 + you have all whois information in /etc and marked as conf-file. With
   any update of the package the enduser will be asked about changing
   the conf-file. I would recommend to have this file in
   /usr/share/gwhois and a file in /etc allowing to override stanzas
   from /usr/share/gwhois's pattern file.

 + more to find.

Greetings
Martin

[1] the package should be non-native anyway, so i don't mind if that
changes.