Re: Partitioning an SSD?

On 2/16/23, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:59:58 +0100
> Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
>
>> paulf@quillandmouse.com (12023-02-15):
>> > Here's why you would partition a drive. Reinstalling (which I end up
>> > having to do every time Debian comes out with a new version
>>
>> Debian is not Ubuntu, major upgrade do not break the system.
>>

> That's the way it used to be, back in the days of sarge, etch, lenny...
>
> Stretch installed perfectly dual-boot with Win 10 on an EFI Acer
> netbook, but upgrading to Buster broke booting to grub. It actually
> broke EFI booting completely, but I've been able to restore booting at
> least to Windows. And yes, I've tried everything the Net can suggest.
>
> On another machine, upgrading Buster to Bullseye broke it beyond my
> ability to fix, so I installed Bullseye from scratch.
>
> Upgrades are definitely a lot more trouble now, and yes, I do realise
> that each release is bigger and more complicated than the last.

Ditto. I can still remember saying (on Debian-User) that if someone
wanted to destroy an operating system, all they had to do was break
its ability to boot. A few weeks later was the last time I was able to
install a Debian release with GRUB that booted.

LILO was the only thing that worked for me after that. Something went
wrong with mine a few months ago, and I've ended up in all kinds of
other operating systems' LiveDVDs ever since.

Even LiveDVD didn't work *for me* with Debian. There was some kind of
a showstopping library issue. Was something like libunistring.
Couldn't keep it up and running long enough to attempt a partition
install. Other systems like Mint have somehow broken the EFI/UEFI
roadblock when installed so I was taking a chance that maybe Debian
could do the same thing.

A partition is currently set up with Sid (Trixie?). It broke my heart
when it didn't boot with GRUB, either. I've tried everything I can
with it with the primary assault being to attempt to duplicate all
GRUB packages that Mint uses to boot from a thumb drive.

Sid with GRUB is getting one next to the last try before the last one
is LILO. An email about EFI flew by me via Linux From Scratch the
other day. I'm going to go poke around over there. Maybe there are
some tips there that will finally push it over the edge to success.
Doing exactly that helped me a couple years ago for something
unrelated so I'm laying hope on it based on prior experience. :)

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *