Re: Partitioning an SSD?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 18:45:49 -0500
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> I don't personally think there's a point in partitioning any storage
> device on a user system these days beyond what's required to boot. If
> you want to do more, that's a personal preference. Being an SSD
> doesn't really change things.

Here's why you would partition a drive. Reinstalling (which I end up
having to do every time Debian comes out with a new version) means
overwriting the storage. If your home partition is part of that, it's
gone too, along with your music, photos and valuable documents.
Likewise if something catastrophic happens to the drive itself.

You could store everything together. Then you could back up the home
directory and then copy it back, I suppose. I just find it simpler to
have a separate partition for home.

For what it's worth to the original poster, my root and home partitions
are on their own partitions on separate SSDs.

SSDs versus HDDs isn't really an important distinction when it comes to
partitioning.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster