Re: Partitioning an SSD?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:59:58 +0100
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> paulf@quillandmouse.com (12023-02-15):
> > Here's why you would partition a drive. Reinstalling (which I end up
> > having to do every time Debian comes out with a new version
>
> Debian is not Ubuntu, major upgrade do not break the system.

That's the way it used to be, back in the days of sarge, etch, lenny...

Stretch installed perfectly dual-boot with Win 10 on an EFI Acer
netbook, but upgrading to Buster broke booting to grub. It actually
broke EFI booting completely, but I've been able to restore booting at
least to Windows. And yes, I've tried everything the Net can suggest.

On another machine, upgrading Buster to Bullseye broke it beyond my
ability to fix, so I installed Bullseye from scratch.

Upgrades are definitely a lot more trouble now, and yes, I do realise
that each release is bigger and more complicated than the last.

--
Joe