Re: Flatpak memory usage

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:12:12 -0500
Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 10:36:12PM -0500, paulf@quillandmouse.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I find the trend disturbing. If you have a lot of apps running,
> > > and they're all these types of packages, you're going to be using
> > > considerably more memory [...]
> >
> > I'm not a friend of flatpaks and similar concepts, either. For me,
> > it's not memory use, but the shifting of power from a distrubution
> > model to single applications. I find that makes software less
> > "free".
> >
> > In a distro, applications have to get along with each other, agree
> > on a common set of libraries, file system layout, etc. I think this
> > is a Good Thing. Every app carrying its own little distro is like
> > neoliberal hell. No wonder it uses up more resources ;-D
>
> And the distro no longer has administrative control over the package.
> The programs do not go through distro-based end-to-end testing or
> security testing and evaluation.
>
> Knowing a distro performs end-to-end testing, monitors security events
> and performs patching is the reason I use distros. The distro owned it
> and took care of it.
>
> Now each user owns it. The user is responsible for ensuring the code
> is fit for installation.
>
> Jeff

This brings up another tangent. Bob, a Debian user, is using a
flatpak version of the Snorgistic package, and something goes wrong. He
gets on the Debian user list for support. He's not thinking about where
his package came from, and we don't realize it's a flatpak. We try to
help him, to no avail. A waste of community and Bob's time as well.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com