Re: Flatpak memory usage

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 10:36:12PM -0500, paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I find the trend disturbing. If you have a lot of apps running, and
> > they're all these types of packages, you're going to be using
> > considerably more memory [...]
>
> I'm not a friend of flatpaks and similar concepts, either. For me,
> it's not memory use, but the shifting of power from a distrubution
> model to single applications. I find that makes software less "free".
>
> In a distro, applications have to get along with each other, agree
> on a common set of libraries, file system layout, etc. I think this
> is a Good Thing. Every app carrying its own little distro is like
> neoliberal hell. No wonder it uses up more resources ;-D

And the distro no longer has administrative control over the package.
The programs do not go through distro-based end-to-end testing or
security testing and evaluation.

Knowing a distro performs end-to-end testing, monitors security events
and performs patching is the reason I use distros. The distro owned it
and took care of it.

Now each user owns it. The user is responsible for ensuring the code
is fit for installation.

Jeff