Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On Tue 14 Feb 2023 at 07:21:00 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 07:07:58AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On 2/14/23 06:29, Brian wrote:
> > > Anyway, this USB-only printer from 2016 does not provide
> > > an IPP-over-USB service. This is not unexpected.
> > >
> > Are you saying that this printer has been sitting on the Staples display for
> > 5 years when I bought it new about when it first showed up there 2 years
> > ago?
>
> Had to dig through the archive to find the model number (HL-L2320D)
> again, since it was snipped in this part of the thread.  Once I found
> the model number, I did a Google search, and this was one of the results:
>

> Brother HL-L2320D L2300D best budget laser printer review
> https://www.youtube.com › watch
> 7:51
> A quick demonstration and review of the Brother HL-L2320D laser printer.Buy it on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2haHDsdOr buy the similar ...
> YouTube · DarkStoneCastle · Dec 21, 2016
>

> So... yeah, I guess we're saying that your printer was 5 years old at the
> moment you bought it.  Or at least, that it was a 5-year-old *design*,
> even if that particular printer had been assembled more recently.

The Brother HL-L2320D seems to have come on the market in early
2016. I haven't any idea when Staples decided to stock it.

> Now, personally I don't consider a 7-year-old product to be an antique,
> but maybe Brian does.  I certainly can't speak for him on this topic.

I do not consider a 7-year-old product to be an antique. The
significance of 2016 is that it is four years after the
IPP-over-USB standard was ratified.

Network printers from 2016 almost certainly (always in my
experience) do ship with IPP-over-USB. For some reason USB-only
devices generally do not provide it; it's very hit-and-miss.

I do not know why all vendors (not just Brother) have taken that
decision. It's a real pain as it effectively makes the printer
a legacy model and very much limits how it fits into the Debian
printing ecosystem.

--
Brian.