Re: raid10 is killing me, and applications that aren't willing towait for it to respond

On 12/14/23 18:36, gene heskett wrote:
On 12/14/23 16:36, Anssi Saari wrote:
gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

It repeats per gui access. Starting a gfx program such as OpenSCAD, or
qidislicer from an xfce4 terminal cli, is delayed for this similar but
not always identical lag. And reports odd warnings etc while its
getting ready to open its gui.

Does this happen with common GUI tools too like, say, Firefox?
firefox, no.
Or XFCE's
file manager, Thunar I believe?
Thunar, yes, but I don't use it, not my cup of tea.  It wants to be a replacement for mc, but fails at 90% of what mc can do.

  Or a text editor like Gedit?

Gedit has ben banned from any of my machines for at least 15 years, it made scrambled eggs out of of several linuxcnc configuration files I had to re-write from scratch, but geany has never done that.  And geany is as instant as nano.

  Or even the
XFCE terminal?
Comes up instantly from the menu, I use it heavily because it has tabs. I use them much like workspaces.

Is this info helpful?

Thank you Anssi Saari

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

It sounds like OpenSCAD and gidislicer have something in common that is causing the issue, while the other apps do not have that something. So, the challenge is finding the shared object files (dynamic linking) and/or the source files (static linking) that are present in the affected programs and not present in the unaffected programs.

It would be helpful if you posted a list of affected programs and a list of unaffected programs to provide alternatives for a search. Please note any programs that you did not install using conventional Debian packages (and that may be the root cause of the issue).

David