Re: The bug

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 04:13:44PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 10:10:37AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 09:56:46AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > If so, then IIUC the answer is a resounding "YES, it is safe!".
> > > It just may be unusable, so you may have to downgrade to 6.1.0-13 until
> > > the problem is fixed.
> > >
> > > That's a very different issue from the ext4 corruption problem in
> > > 6.1.0-14 which can eat your data.
> >
> > Safety is subjective.  A great deal will depend on what kind of system
> > is being upgraded.  If it's a remote server to which you have limited
> > or no physical access, booting a kernel that may "just be unusable"
> > (enough to prevent editing GRUB menus and rebooting) could be a disaster.
>
> ...but that one most probably won't be attached via a Broadcom to the 'net.
>
> Who knows, though :)

My superficial understanding, after skimming through the bug report,
is that problems could be triggered just by *loading* one of the
affected wifi driver modules.  This would happen for any machine that
has one of the "right" kinds of wifi hardware, even if that hardware
isn't actively being used.  (Not just Broadcom either; at least one
person reported an issue with Realtek.)

Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly, but I still feel it's wise to wait
a little while and see if any more problems pop up, if stability is
important to you.  I also salute the courage of those who've tested
these recent changes.  Thank you all.