Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

On Sun 01 Oct 2023 at 21:27:17 (+0200), Hans wrote:
> Some other idea: As the kernel boots, but does not find the root-partition, I am stopping at the
> shell
>
> (initramfs)
>
> Is there anything I can do from this point?
>
> I also see, that the kernel tries to find some "block" device, but i am not sure, what he actually does

Disks, USB sticks, SD cards, and so on, are all block devices.

> Kernel output is:
>
> --------------------
>
> Begin: Running scripts/local-block  ... done
>
> --------------------
>
> for about 10 times, then stops with:
>
> --------------------
>
> Gave up waiting for file root file system device. Common problem:
> - Boot args (cat/proc/cmdline)
> - Check root-delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
>
> - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
>
> Alert: /dev/nvme0n1p6 not exist.. Dropping to a shell.
>
> BusyBox v1.35.0 (Debian 1: 1.35.0-4+b3) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help` for a list of built in commands
>
> (initramfs)
>

> --------------------
>
> I looked at ls /dev/block and saw some 8:0 , 8:1 , 8:2 etc, but not sure, if these are my partitions.

Yes, they'll be symlinks to the appropriate /dev/… devices. Under
normal circumstances, they'll have equivalent entries like
/run/udev/data/b8:0, which contain plain text information about
the corresponding device file.

8:0 will be the disk device, and 8:1 … will be partitions. However,
8 means they're probably the "normal harddrive", mentioned at the
top of your OP. Check there is the correct number of them—but
don't be fooled by seeing 8:16, 8:17 …, which would mean that you've
got a USB stick plugged in. Or if you booted from an SD card, you
might see symlinks like 179:0 …

However, the "NVME drive" would typically be numbered 259:0, 259:1 …
rather than 8:0.

> Can I do more fron this shell?

I'm afraid stopping at this point (rather than earlier or later
in the booting up sequence) is something I've never done.

BTW your OP confused me somewhat— In the summary you wrote:

  1. Debian Installer does not see the harddrive (/dev/nvmeXXXX)

Presumably you meant: "NVME drive (/dev/nvmeXXXX)"; and so you can
see what you called the "normal harddrive", ie those 8:0 … devices.
I guess you have both Windows and Linux OSes on the NVME disk, which
is why you had to resize things. What's the "normal" harddrive for?

Cheers,
David.