Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

Hi Hans!

hans.ullrich@loop.de wrote:

>In short; I tried (as most people tell): Starting windows in secure mode, then
>boot into the BIOS and there set from RAID to AHCI, afterwards start windows
>as normal.
>
>This setting in BIOS was existent some time ago, but now it is complete gone
>(this point is completele disappeared!)!!  I know that it is in RAID, because
>Windows told so: BUS form = RAID.

Right. I have one of these machines as a test box locally, and I think
I know what the problem is.

The core issue is that the BIOS setup screen has a ridiculous
mis-feature - it hides some BIOS entries from the user, with no
indication that it has done so. On the model I have, it needs you to
hit Ctrl-s on each of the BIOS setup screens to show them. I've read
about other models where you need to hit other key combinations. Doing
a web search for "<model> hidden bios settings" should help you here.

The "InsydeBIOS" thing is utter crap, basically. I'd *reallY* strongly
recommend getting rid of the machine and replacing it with something
less awful.

Be aware that if you switch storage from RAID to AHCI mode then you'll
probably lose access to the Windows installation - it will be
depending on the RAID setup.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...