Re: swap-fle on arm64, need to disable, how?

On 10/1/23 14:06, Stefan Monnier wrote:
There I disagree, Greg, it makes a handy download tool, directly from
wherever, directly to the machine that needs it.  That, apt/synaptic and git
are the major net tools I use.  Obviously I'm not trying to run them
simultaneously. Every machine here 7 ATM, can browse the net, making it very
easy to keep them up to date.

Do you have some big honking KVM to multiplex all those machines
onto your screen and keyboard, or do you actually have 7 screens and
7 keyboards and you need to walk over from one to the other?

Here I was going to ask if you'd ever hear of ssh and sshfs. but thn I read the next paragraph.

Personally, I think I'd do neither: I'd have all those little buggers
headless and control them exclusively remotely via SSH (there could be
some alternatives like remote desktop or web-server UIs, but I find the
command line just a lot more convenient).
[ That's what I do with my BananaPi and my Odroid servers.  ]

And Odroid? Where do I send condolence flowers? I spent several days trying to install a linux on it. Wound up bricking it. That outfit is married to uefi and our socalled shim was nowhere near ready for prime time. They said I'd need to get about $275 in jtag tools to unbrick it. When I took my problem with that back I was told our way or or the hiway. So I ordered a rpi3b and did the job with it. They will never see another penny from me. That is their problem, I use what works, and theirs didn't.

         Stefan

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)