Re: swap-fle on arm64, need to disable, how?

On 10/1/23 08:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 05:07:48AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
You've a good view of this hw. However swap is not important to run
linuxcnc, in fact its to be avoided because it messes with realtime
response. Linuxcnc needs, even with much of the control offloaded to mesa
and similar smart cards, it still needs to check what the machine is doing
1000 times a second. The way I'm doing it, the wobble in this timing as 50
to 80 microseconds, which doesn't bother the machine all that much, the real
time killer is firing up firefox which can lock out the irq response for
hundreds of milliseconds.  So I don't carve metal and browse the web at the
same time.

If Firefox is really just for "browsing the web", and is not part of
the user interface for the CNC pieces, I don't understand why you run
Firefox on this machine at all.  I would run the browser on a separate
computer, one which isn't so critical to your operation.

There I disagree, Greg, it makes a handy download tool, directly from wherever, directly to the machine that needs it. That, apt/synaptic and git are the major net tools I use. Obviously I'm not trying to run them simultaneously. Every machine here 7 ATM, can browse the net, making it very easy to keep them up to date.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis