Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

On 2023-09-30 at 11:34, Hans wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> since days I am now fighting with a big and special problem I fell
> into.
>
> On my notebook I have 2 drives, one is a NVME drive, the other a
> normal harddrive.
>
> The NVME has got Widows_11 and Debian_12 on it.
>
> But here is the problem:
>
> As I resized the Windows and Linux partitions, the UUIDs have
> changed. Thus, now the root partition can not be found any more, as
> the UUID has changed.

Having read over the rest of this thread, so far I do not see anything
to indicate that the UUID has changed.

> This is not the only problem! Windows has changed the BIOS settings
> during an update. Now it has set from AHCI to RAID. This is the first
> problem.

Rather, I think that this is likely to be the entire problem.

At least on some (many?) systems, when this is set to RAID rather than
AHCI, a different driver is required. When that driver is not present or
is not compatible with the hardware, Linux will not see the storage
device.

That is the symptom which you are seeing, and because of that, I think
that this is the cause you need to deal with.

It is possible that the UUID of the storage device and/or the partitions
on it may have also changed, but until the storage device is accessible
from Linux again, the question of whether it has or not is irrelevant.

> Second: The setting of AHCI has disappeared, so I can not change the
> settings in BIOS. And: the BIOS can not be reflashed!

Please describe exactly what you have done to try to downgrade the UEFI
(which isn't a BIOS, as I understand the definitions of those terms, but
may sometimes be called one).

It's possible that there may be parameters which you could pass to the
tool you're using to try to do this, which would override the refusal to
downgrade.

If you can get the "AHCI" option back, then that is almost certainly
going to be the simplest way to fix the problem (or at least to move on
to the next stage of the problem, which would probably be more tractable).

If you can't, then the solution is likely to require getting a
compatible driver in the Linux environment (whether live or otherwise)
that you're using to try to access the system. The details of *that* are
not something that I have sufficient experience with to want to try to
advise someone on at a distance.

(If you're unlucky, there may not *be* any such driver for that model,
or at least not one you can get your hands on. In which case, barring
the downgrade-the-firmware angle, you'd probably be out of luck.)

--
   The Wanderer