Re: logging no longer standard?

On 8/9/23 21:24, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 08/08/2023 19:07, gene heskett wrote:
digikam for example, does report what I assume is the package name, just running it, reports a couple screens full of Exiv2 errors, but Exiv2 is installed.

I have an impression that properly built AppImage should come with all necessary libraries included and should not rely on packages installed in the system.

We also think about AppImages as complete, satisfying ALL their own dependencies. No disagreement there. I do see them as huge storage resource hogs, but at the same time papers over individual system differences IF done right. FWIW, the repo version of digikam also suffers the can't write to local storage problem, but its supposedly a known bug in 7.9 that has since been fixed ack the digikam folks, but their AppImage builds for version 8.2 still don't work /here/. That leaves the fact that /home is a raid here, but surely I am not the only one on the planet doing that.

Your camera and EXIF parsing library may have different notion on EXIF tags format and allowed values. You may discuss whether the errors are critical with developers or packagers of the applications and to filter out these errors otherwise.

Throw in that we have no control over the camera maker, in all cases here they are well known, reputable makers of at least 3 cameras that have saved pix in that tree, plus probably a thou or more of pix saved from the net in there, I guess its up to us to configure this stuff so it works. Is there a tut describing how someplace?

cuda is also named in the errors, and none of its dozen or so variations is installed. Which one to install?

Thank you Max.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)