Re: Logging off an X session closes all ssh -X connections started previously from outside X

On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 09:13:04AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 05/05/2023 02:07, zithro wrote:
> > 2. using VNC or rdesktop, I then log on to X on the machine, do some
> > stuff, then hit "log off" from the desktop menu.

[...]

> Perhaps it may be related to user D-Bus sessions, however I would expect
> that ssh GUI app has its own bus created by dbus-launch.

dbus is a candidate. Let me explain: I have a funny setup -- no systemd,
no dbus (still, Debian buster, and X).

At some point in time, the browser (firefox) brought in dbus via some
dependencies. Annoyed, I killed dbus -- and poof, all browser instances
were gone.

If I inhibit dbus from starting, the browsers run fine without it. My
hunch is that they keep an open socket conection to the dbus and die
on SIGPIPE or some such.

So yes, if all those apps are sharing "the" session dbus, possibly
started by whoever came first *and* the logout takes the session
dbus down, this might be an explanation.

Now don't ask me why I try to avoid that ;-)

Cheers