Re: tmp on tmpfs

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:52:23 +0200
tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> One case where tmpfs for /tmp makes a ton of sense is when you want
> to have most things read only (or read mostly), because your devices
> die from too much writes (the Raspi/SD pattern, for example -- note
> that I wrote SD, not SSD: no monster thread on that, please ;-)

To be fair to the post [0] mentioned earlier, while the subject line was
provocative, the post itself explicitly acknowledges that tmpfs
for /tmp does make sense in some cases, although you may disagree that
they're as "rare" as it claims :)

"Mounting /tmp to tmpfs may be a good thing in some rare cases, but it's
a bad default. It breaks a lot of things and, which is more important,
brings nothing good."

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00311.html

--
Celejar