Re: tmp on tmpfs

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 08:55:25AM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (12023-04-19):
> > What I didn't like from the post [...]

> I am not that surprised to find this level of argumentation in a text
> that announces its unbalanced conclusion in the title [...]

I wouldn't be so harsh, but yes, one gets the impression that
the author wants to reach that conclusion.

I'd agree with them on not chosing that option by default, though.

[...]

> Another minor difference that can be a minor upside or downside
> depending on the use case: with a tmpfs, the files disappear when the
> computer is turned off, with a real filesystem they disappear when it is
> turned on.

Definitely. If you care about minimising data leak opportunities,
keeping /tmp in an encrypted partition seems mandatory.

> (I do not know if Debian has provisions to format a /tmp partition with
> an ephemeral encryption key on boot, like it has for the swap.)

This would be a nice thing, yes (but we know that /tmp is, by default,
on the root partition).

One case where tmpfs for /tmp makes a ton of sense is when you want
to have most things read only (or read mostly), because your devices
die from too much writes (the Raspi/SD pattern, for example -- note
that I wrote SD, not SSD: no monster thread on that, please ;-)

Cheers