Re: [bullseye] r-cran-ggplot2 depends on missing libpq5 v13.8

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue 14 Mar 2023 at 08:38:09 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 01:16:51PM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> > So the problem is with the original 'sources.list', namely
>> >
>> >   # See https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList for more information.
>> >   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
>> >   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
>> >
>> >   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>> >   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>> >
>> >   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>> >   deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>> >
>> > I didn't change the URLs and only added the section 'main' and
>
> contrib, rather than main, I hope.

Indeed.

>> > 'non-free', so how come this is broken just for me?
>
> Chance, perhaps. I appears the lists were stale, but you were seeing
> a fresh archive. How frequently do you update your lists. (Every
> three hours, with a cron job, in my case.)
>
>> deb.debian.org is an extra super fancy redirection thingy that uses
>> "SRV" records instead of ordinary round-robin DNS.  Most of the time,
>> it works, for most people.
>>
>> But every once in a while, you get redirected to a mirror that's out
>> of date.  Unfortunately, when that happens, it's really damned hard
>> to figure out that this is happening, or how to fix it.
>>
>> In fact, the only way I know how to force it to use a different mirror
>> is exactly what I recommended here -- stop using deb.debian.org entirely.
>> You could try going back to it in a week or two, and maybe the mirror
>> it's using for you will be up to date, or you'll get a different mirror.
>> Or, you could stick with your ftp.COUNTRYCODE.debian.org mirror set if
>> it's working well for you.
>>
>> The country code mirror sets aren't immune from staleness issues either.
>> There've been plenty of times when one of them has been out of date,
>> and people have been advised to use a different country code for a
>> while, until the mirrors get fixed.  So, just keep an eye out for this
>> kind of problem no matter what mirrors you use.
>
> If you run into this problem, you can make things easier the next time
> by placing your current sources.list file into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> and keep an alternative version there as well. For example:
>
>   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb.list
>   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/france.backup
>
> and on a bad day, you rename them to:
>
>   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb.backup
>   /etc/apt/sources.list.d/france.list
>
> APT only reads the .list filename. Disadvantage: keeping them in sync,
> but usually there's very little need for any changes to be made.

That sounds like a bit of a faff.  Now I know about the potential
problem, I'll probably just stick with 'deb.debian.org'.

Strangely, on my work laptop I just have

  deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

in 'sources.list' and 'deb.debian.org' resolves to the same IP as it did
on my home laptop with the problem, namely

  root@work:~# ping deb.debian.org
  PING debian.map.fastlydns.net (146.75.118.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
  64 bytes from 146.75.118.132 (146.75.118.132): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=15.0 ms

But on my work laptop I have point release 11.6 and on the home laptop
I had 11.5.  Very odd.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.