Re: [bullseye] r-cran-ggplot2 depends on missing libpq5 v13.8

On Tue 14 Mar 2023 at 08:38:09 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 01:16:51PM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
> > So the problem is with the original 'sources.list', namely
> >
> >   # See https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList for more information.
> >   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
> >   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
> >
> >   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
> >   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
> >
> >   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
> >   deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
> >
> > I didn't change the URLs and only added the section 'main' and

contrib, rather than main, I hope.

> > 'non-free', so how come this is broken just for me?

Chance, perhaps. I appears the lists were stale, but you were seeing
a fresh archive. How frequently do you update your lists. (Every
three hours, with a cron job, in my case.)

> deb.debian.org is an extra super fancy redirection thingy that uses
> "SRV" records instead of ordinary round-robin DNS.  Most of the time,
> it works, for most people.
>
> But every once in a while, you get redirected to a mirror that's out
> of date.  Unfortunately, when that happens, it's really damned hard
> to figure out that this is happening, or how to fix it.
>
> In fact, the only way I know how to force it to use a different mirror
> is exactly what I recommended here -- stop using deb.debian.org entirely.
> You could try going back to it in a week or two, and maybe the mirror
> it's using for you will be up to date, or you'll get a different mirror.
> Or, you could stick with your ftp.COUNTRYCODE.debian.org mirror set if
> it's working well for you.
>
> The country code mirror sets aren't immune from staleness issues either.
> There've been plenty of times when one of them has been out of date,
> and people have been advised to use a different country code for a
> while, until the mirrors get fixed.  So, just keep an eye out for this
> kind of problem no matter what mirrors you use.

If you run into this problem, you can make things easier the next time
by placing your current sources.list file into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
and keep an alternative version there as well. For example:

  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb.list
  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/france.backup

and on a bad day, you rename them to:

  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb.backup
  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/france.list

APT only reads the .list filename. Disadvantage: keeping them in sync,
but usually there's very little need for any changes to be made.

Cheers,
David.