Re: [bullseye] r-cran-ggplot2 depends on missing libpq5 v13.8

Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 01:16:51PM +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> So the problem is with the original 'sources.list', namely
>>
>>   # See https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList for more information.
>>   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
>>   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
>>
>>   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>>   deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
>>
>>   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>>   deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
>>
>> I didn't change the URLs and only added the section 'main' and
>> 'non-free', so how come this is broken just for me?
>
> deb.debian.org is an extra super fancy redirection thingy that uses
> "SRV" records instead of ordinary round-robin DNS.  Most of the time,
> it works, for most people.
>
> But every once in a while, you get redirected to a mirror that's out
> of date.  Unfortunately, when that happens, it's really damned hard
> to figure out that this is happening, or how to fix it.
>
> In fact, the only way I know how to force it to use a different mirror
> is exactly what I recommended here -- stop using deb.debian.org entirely.
> You could try going back to it in a week or two, and maybe the mirror
> it's using for you will be up to date, or you'll get a different mirror.
> Or, you could stick with your ftp.COUNTRYCODE.debian.org mirror set if
> it's working well for you.
>
> The country code mirror sets aren't immune from staleness issues either.
> There've been plenty of times when one of them has been out of date,
> and people have been advised to use a different country code for a
> while, until the mirrors get fixed.  So, just keep an eye out for this
> kind of problem no matter what mirrors you use.

I have another laptop at work which I have continually upgraded,
starting probably from Wheezy.  I have never had any issues with that,
so I'll probably use the setting from there on this new laptop.  I can't
access the work laptop at the moment, but I guess it is probably using
ftp.de.debian.org.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.