Re: latest testing update broke my laptop

"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:

> I'd start from the firmware .iso and an expert text modeinstall and then uncheck
> everything other than standard - so no graphics environment AT ALL - before
> rebooting. (You might want to add network manager or similar for nmtui to
> configure WiFi).

Looks like nvidia-driver depends on nvidia-kernel-dkms which in turn
depends on dkms which depends on enough build tools to build drivers. So
no need to install build-essential specifically, just nvidia-driver.

Then again, I have no experience with an Optimus-like setup where one
might want to switch between GPUs. Ny Nvidia laptop works fine with just
using the Nvidia GPU and Nvidia's drivers for everything.