latest testing update broke my laptop

My laptop no longer boots thanks to the latest update. It stops after I select a normal boot - it goes to the text mode console and displays an error message about: [ 0.717939] ACPI BIOS Error (bug).

If I go into recovery mode, I don't get that error but then it stops after a message about the nouveau driver. I never get to a command prompt.

I can boot from System Rescus CD. I get the same BIOS error message but then it continues on as if it wasn't important.

I tried updating the BIOS but that did nothing to resolve the problem. I did a reinstall and the problem survives.

The problem actually started earlier in the day, when I did the apt full-upgrade. It updated the nvidia drivers so it wanted a reboot. When I rebooted, it refused to start sddm. It just sat there. I rebooted into recovery mode and changed to lightdm, which did the same thing. Gdm3 actually switched into a graphics mode before hanging.

I purged the nvidia drivers and that was when the message cropped up. I tried booting from system rescue cd then switching into a bash shell on my / partition but lost my DNS so I couldn't (re) install the nouveau drivers (didn't want to touch the nvidia ones again). I did try updating initramfs, in case there was some nvidia stuff hanging around but it didn't help.

That led to me reinstalling. I copied the Bookworm netinst to my Ventoy USB stick, but it wouldn't boot so I went back to Bullseye - which installed but wouldn't bring up a GUI. Booted to recovery mode, brought up the network and upgraded to Bookworm. That is where I am now - with the error message appearing after I leave the boot menu.

This is basically clean install - just done in two parts. My laptop had been running fine since I got it and installed Debian.