Re: t-bird vs filters to sort msgs

On Sun 11 Dec 2022 at 12:39:31 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/11/22 10:00, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 09:51:05AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Nov 22 is the last time that about half my filters stopped working. I have
> > > recreated 3 or 4, putting them at the top of filter list displayed, but they
> > > don't work either.
> > >
> > > Is it time to learn a new to me but more stable emailer, like
> > > alpine or such?
> >
> > A lot of us use mutt - command line email client that seems to mostly
> > do the right thing when configured - and works well with included HTML
> > if you add urlview. There are a whole lot of good email clients.
> >
> > alpine is, essentially, the grandchild of pine - so you may find you
> > already know the interface from years ago.

[ …    …    …    …    …    …    …    …    …    …    …   etc. ]

> So I need a WORKING email agent, with or without fetchmail & procmail.
> And it looks like after 20 years, I am going to have to learn how to
> use a brand new to me emailer. Neither mutt, nor alpine, has docs for
> a beginner that aren't buried 2+ more directories deep in
> /usr/share/doc.
>
> No man pages...

man mutt   shows how to invoke it. The manual itself is in
/usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt.gz , which is two directories
deep in /usr/share/doc, and which you can probably work out
is as shallow as it's possible for the docs themselves to be.
They're also in HTML, and examples are included too. All
screens have keystroke help, by pressing ? (q to go back).

> So at this point I guessing that I need a fetchmail/procmail front end
> as I don't find any references to account setups for either one. Is my
> macular degeneration of my 88 yo eyes hiding that from me?

You can set up IMAP access to your emails in just one line
of configuration, typically something like:

  set spoolfile="imaps://gheskett@shentel.net:mysecret@imap.shentel.net:993/INBOX"

You can send email directly with settings like these mangled ones of mine:

  set smtp_authenticators="plain"
  set smtp_pass="mysecret"
  set smtp_url="smtp://gheskett@shentel.net@smtp.shentel.net:465"

With machines and networks as fast as they now are, I find it
much simpler to configure exim to handle local email between
my machines (with the benefit of queueing when machines are
switched off), and use mutt's direct access as above for
external email. And if the server is down, you get to know
about it straight away, rather than when exim deigns to tell
you. Queueing emails for sending is fine for busy, shared
systems, but somewhat OTT for individuals.

Cheers,
David.