Re: t-bird vs filters to sort msgs

On 12/11/22 10:00, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 09:51:05AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

Nov 22 is the last time that about half my filters stopped working. I have
recreated 3 or 4, putting them at the top of filter list displayed, but they
don't work either.

Is it time to learn a new to me but more stable emailer, like
alpine or such?

A lot of us use mutt - command line email client that seems to mostly
do the right thing when configured - and works well with included HTML
if you add urlview. There are a whole lot of good email clients.

alpine is, essentially, the grandchild of pine - so you may find you
already know the interface from years ago.

Never used any of the "trees. I found kmail in 1998 and never looked back. Until ngo's crew got addicted to eye candy and his ability to herd cats was never focused on bug fixing and stabiliity. So I fixed kmails huge and annoyiing lags while it was fetching new mail by installing fetchmail and procmail to sort it. Used it the way thru thick and thin till a little over a year ago when two brand new 2TB seagate drives disappeared off the sata bus in 10 days, taking 20 some years of history with them. So I ordered another controller and 5 more Samsung SSD's, one to boot from and 4 for a 2T raid10 for /home.

That's when all hell broke out, resulting in 20 something installs because the installer insisted on silently installing brltty and orca, which wasn't removable without destroying the installs ability to reboot. without which a reboot was only doable by a reinstall, 20 some of them. It never asked me if I wanted that, it just installed them because I had a couple usb-serial convertors plugged in.

Somebody finally twigged that I needed to unplug all my usb stuff before the install.

Before that, 7 years or so, I'd given up on ever getting some kde bugs fixed, so I'd switched to tde, which is kde 3.5 with 99.9% of its bugs fixed. So up until those 2 new drives puked, and I lost everything, because the 2nd was my amanda drive, I had outgrown both as time passed.

I started out in 1998 with redhat5.0, then went to fedora when rh wanted $1000 a seat at their table. In the meantime I got interested in LinuxCNC when it was still EMC with what was called a BDI for Brain Dead Installer and my garage is now full of machines I have converted to CNC. The developers switched to Ubuntu in about 2003 then to debian when ubuntu looked too much like windows,

LinuxCNC has gotten much better over the years, but their installer is still based on debian buster, but debian came calling to see if it might make it into bookworm. It may not make the bookworm cutoff date, remains to be seen.

So as a LinuxCNC supporter, I'm stuck with debian. And debian has made it virtually impossible to install anything from the TDE repos.

So I need a WORKING email agent, with or without fetchmail & procmail.
And it looks like after 20 years, I am going to have to learn how to use a brand new to me emailer. Neither mutt, nor alpine, has docs for a beginner that aren't buried 2+ more directories deep in /usr/share/doc.

No man pages...

So at this point I guessing that I need a fetchmail/procmail front end as I don't find any references to account setups for either one. Is my macular degeneration of my 88 yo eyes hiding that from me?

Thank you Andy. take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis