Re: Getting PC with Ubuntu; change to Debian?

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 4:32 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 09:51:49PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello, fellow Debian users:
>
> I've had Debian on my computers for a very long time (can't remember
> exactly when but early 2000's for sure); and I've had Lenovo laptops for
> ages too. I finally need to replace my main laptop (an at least 10-year old
> ThinkPad), so I've bought an X1 from Lenovo, with Ubuntu pre-installed (to
> be delivered in January).

If you know which chipsets are in it, either should work.
I'd hope the Ubuntu supplied was the latest LTS - so 22.04.

According to: https://ubuntu.com/certified/202204-30215

This system was tested with 20.04 LTS, running the 5.14.0-1033-oem kernel.

 If you got the X1 Carbon Gen 10 then you will likely need to install Debian Testing as Debian 11 only has the 5.10 Kernel version.

If it isn't, and you'd have to upgrade from 20.04, then you lose nothing
by installing Debian right away, I think.

> So, a question. Should I side-grade to Debian (and, if so, how easy would
> it be to do that?)? Or will I be happy with Ubuntu (which is, after all, a
> Debian derivative)?

I think I agree with others who suggest dual booting at minimum.
It's a choice but Ubuntu and Debian have diverged - most of what
you know from Debian will still apply but there are small differences.

> I'm very familiar and comfortable with Debian (was happy with 'testing' for
> a long time, but have lately reverted to 'stable'). And, although I'm a
> rare participant on this list, I enjoy the lurk and would presumably need
> to go elsewhere if I had questions about my Ubuntu experience.

Ubuntu tends to live in forums, I think. There's also the whole vexed
question of whether you want some packages as snaps from Ubuntu.

> Thoughts will be welcome.
>
> Patrick

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater