Re: Getting PC with Ubuntu; change to Debian?

On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 09:51:49PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello, fellow Debian users:
>
> I've had Debian on my computers for a very long time (can't remember
> exactly when but early 2000's for sure); and I've had Lenovo laptops for
> ages too. I finally need to replace my main laptop (an at least 10-year old
> ThinkPad), so I've bought an X1 from Lenovo, with Ubuntu pre-installed (to
> be delivered in January).

If you know which chipsets are in it, either should work.
I'd hope the Ubuntu supplied was the latest LTS - so 22.04.

If it isn't, and you'd have to upgrade from 20.04, then you lose nothing
by installing Debian right away, I think.

> So, a question. Should I side-grade to Debian (and, if so, how easy would
> it be to do that?)? Or will I be happy with Ubuntu (which is, after all, a
> Debian derivative)?

I think I agree with others who suggest dual booting at minimum.
It's a choice but Ubuntu and Debian have diverged - most of what
you know from Debian will still apply but there are small differences.

> I'm very familiar and comfortable with Debian (was happy with 'testing' for
> a long time, but have lately reverted to 'stable'). And, although I'm a
> rare participant on this list, I enjoy the lurk and would presumably need
> to go elsewhere if I had questions about my Ubuntu experience.

Ubuntu tends to live in forums, I think. There's also the whole vexed
question of whether you want some packages as snaps from Ubuntu.

> Thoughts will be welcome.
>
> Patrick

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater