Re: Intel X540-AT2 and Debian: intermittent connection

On Sun, 2022-11-20 at 12:45 +0100, hw wrote:
> [...]
> I don't know, I'll try the Debian rescue and FreeBSD when the currently
> running
> backups are finished.

I booted the Debian rescue and the LEDs on the network cards don't light up and
the link remains down even when I replug the cable.

I rebooted into the installed Debian and the LEDs are back on and the link is up
and I can ping.  After 53 pings, the address is unreachable again.

So I booted FreeBSD and went into the shell.  Dmesg said link up and down from
my plugging and ifconfig kept saying 'no carrier'.  After giving the interface
an IPv6 address with ifconfig it still said no carrier and after replugging the
cable, I could ping 127 times.  Then ping stopped for a few seconds before it
pinged one more time, and now it's stuck.  After a while, it pinged again, and
after another while, ping stopped again.

There are no further messages in dmesg and ifconfig keeps saying the interface
is active even when it doesn't ping.

FreeBSD ping times are about almost 100ms less the ones with Linux.

This is probably not a software issue.  I'll switch cards around in a couple
days or so.  That's gona suck but now I want to know.  Stay tuned ...