Intel X540-AT2 and Debian: intermittent connection

Hi,

I have an X540-AT2 network card in my backup server and it worked when I was
running Fedora on the server.

I installed Debian on it and wanted to make backups with rsync, but the
connection via this network card is now intermittent where it used to be stable
with Fedora.

The link always shows as up.  Every now and then rsync halts and pings don't get
through.  After a while, rsync continues to work and pings also get through
again.

The interface is directly connected (i. e. without a switch in between) to
another 10GB network card.

When I make the backups over the "normal" 1GB link through a different network
card (via switch), the 1GB connection is fine.

Do I need to do something special to get the X540-AT2 to work?  Is this a known
issue with Debian?  How could I debug this?