Re: Intel X540-AT2 and Debian: intermittent connection

On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 00:51:20 +0100 hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore with Fedora either ...  I tried it with a
> live system if it would work and it didn't.

The source of connection resets can be diverse. Sometimes dmesg will show useful info, sometimes not. It can be anything, from the link layer (ethernet re-negitiation) to some upper layers (arp, ip, etc.). What kind of logs and status apps did you examined already? (dmesg, ethtool/mii-tool, syslog, systemd journal, journal for which kind of services, etc.)

Does the live system use the same kernel as the installed one? That's typically not the case as those get updated very frequently. As such the driver can still be different. (can, maybe, not a must)

Does the X540-AT2 uses external or builtin firmware? With external firmware even that can differ between systems and firmware is also a potential source of connection problems.

For the cable: my own experience is that with shorter connections the cable is more irrelevant. On shorter connections even cat 5 works on 10 GBit. I had to use those for some room-to-room connection (wall-moulded cables for fire protection between two adjacent rooms, not simply exchangeable). They are perfectly working in full speed. So if you tried several cat 6 cables 10 m and less, which are working between other systems, I don't think(!) the cable is of interest here...

hede