Re: Intel X540-AT2 and Debian: intermittent connection

On 11/15/22 07:15, hw wrote:
On Tue, 2022-11-15 at 12:38 +0100, hw wrote:
On Mon, 2022-11-14 at 13:21 +0100, hw wrote:
On Mon, 2022-11-14 at 12:28 +0100, stefano gozzi wrote:
Please loot at this:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/intel-x540-t2-network-card-installed-but-only-at-100mbit-cant-change-or-improve-4175686736/

It seems that you need a 8x pcie slot to work fine

Thanks, the card is in an 8x slot and has been working fine with Fedora.  I
didn't change anything but using Debian instead of Fedora.

Ok I pulled the server from the rack and put another fan to blow directly on
the
card in case it might overheat.

And I have to correct myself.  The card is in an 8x slot and according to the
manual of the mainboard it's supposed to be 8x and not 4x.  I pulled it and
put
it back in.

However, lspci says "LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s (ok), Width x4 (downgraded)".

Usually cards in PCI slots with 4 instead of 8 lanes still work fine, and the
card did work in that slot with Fedora.

I found that I had to unplug the network cable and to plug it back in before I
could send/receive pings.  I already tried a different network cable and it
didn't make a difference.

I suspect that Debian might be doing something differently or not doing that
Fedora does which causes the intermittent connections.

Any ideas?  Backups over an 1GB link are excruciatingly slow ...

Update: I booted a Fedora live system and the connection is also intermittent.
So it's not a Debian issue.  It's still an issue, though ...

What is the cable type?  Length?  Factory or home made?

What is connected to the other end of the cable? If it is a NIC in another server, what happens if you swap the two NIC's?

David