Re: RFC: What would be the "correct debian way" to clean up unwanted languages from an installation?

On 11/15/22 00:22, DdB wrote:
Am 15.11.2022 um 05:21 schrieb David Christensen:
I installed the localepurge package.  Storage usage did not change. Then
I realized that I had chosen the "C" locale during installation, so
perhaps there is nothing to be removed (?).  So, I removed the
localepurge package.

I just read (from /usr/share/doc/localepurge/README.dpkg-path):
localepurge dpkg support
------------------------

Starting with version 1.15.8, dpkg supports --path-include and
(...)

  * It cannot be used to purge locale files from already installed
    packages.
    - Though it will be fixed on next upgrade (or reinstall) of the
      packages.
(...)

which indicates, that your observations had to be expected, if you opted
for dpkg-path :-)

Well, that explains it.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Is it possible to not install locale files in the first place? E.g. when running d-i, and whenever using the package system thereafter?

Davud